Monday, March 25, 2013

Tempted by the Storm by Maxine Mansfield

Tempted by the StormTempted by the Storm

Author: Maxine Mansfield
Pages: 384

Synopsis:
Larksong Hammerstrike has always been just the younger sister of Princess Aryanna. Never quite as pretty or as smart, always lacking, a mere empath whose power gets her into trouble more often than not. But at Carnalval, the festival of all things sexual, she unleashes her sensual side for a night in the arms of a masked stranger. When morning dawns, Lark can't resist a peek beneath the mask of her lover and is once again crushed by fate. The man of her lusty adventure is none other than the future Lord of the High Elves and destined to marry her sister. As heir to the kingdom of Landis and current instructor of wizardry at the Academy of Magical Arts, Sarco Sunwalker is honor bound to rise above the temptation of the beautiful empathic student who invades his mind, body, and soul. But when sparks fly, lightning strikes, and thunder rolls, Sarco finds himself more than tempted by the storm of Lark's passion and vows to find a solution that will prevent a war between races, fulfill an infamous quest, and win Lark's hand.

What I liked:
The concept of it seemed quite interesting at first. When Lark spends a night with a stranger, about who you will later find out that he is destined to marry her sister, I was quite understanding about it. I mean, loosing yourself in passion for one night with a masked stranger that makes you insides squirm with lust seems like an interesting idea. A hot stranger, and night full of fantasies.
Also, the author works with different types of characters. Especially of different races. I like the she chose the human and elf race as the most prominent in the story. I feel like elves are a bit underestimated. There should be written more about them.
There were times when I laughed out loud at nonsense sentences said by some characters.

What I didn't like:
Sometimes it seemed to me, that nearly every conversation end with something physical. Though I am in no way prude, it was a little bit too much for my taste. I don't mind a bit smut here and there but everything to a certain extent.
Also the cover of the book doesn't do it justice. It seem like those historical novels with damsel in distress and a hero on a horse.

I think this book is good for someone who has a liking in these types of books. Maybe I am just not old enough to appreciate this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment